2008-05-09

On the wings of time

We gave three standing ovations to three professors who have either triggered a changed in the way we think or will be instrumental in changing the way we act. The caveat, of course, is that we follow the messages they delivered. As our OB professor concluded in the last session of her course, 'It depends on your choice!". It was touching to bid adieu to the great minds who made cherished our first encounter with the pressure cooker that WIMWI's pedagogy is.

Tuesday marked the end of the first month of PGPX. In this time, we have completed three courses and started three new ones (while a few others will get replaced soon), and woken up to the fact that the first final exam is on the day after tomorrow. But the fun doesn't end.

We started a course with a given name of 'Modeling for Decision'. 'Decision Modeling' would have worked just fine. The given name is causing me to interchange the order of words. Interchanging words can be disastrous as I realized over a post session conversation. Our professor, NR, thirty years at WIMWI and a doctorate in mathematics, has a very sharp mind. Unless we chase his ideas at the speed of his thought, we see that the multi-dimensional ideas he is spewing out are lost on us. He approaches things with cold logic, is famous for being strict in dealing with 'inferior logic' and merciless in repartee; some have been hopelessly embarrassed in class (to be later cajoled).

Over the post-session tea, I thought I was making sense to the prof. until I heard him say 'Have you considered it, seriously?'. Only then did I realise I had referred to his subject as 'Decision for Modeling' (notice that mislaid 'for'?). I quickly recovered thinking about how bad this could get. I conceded to my error and replied that given my un-toned structure, decide that it would be 'illogical' to proceed with modeling.Thankfully the Prof accepted it with a nod and a smile that told me that he was letting me go easy! I am glad I did not speak on the topic in the class.Class participation can wait!

Like "One, Two, three, times a lady", is there 'one-twelfth an MBA'? You wish!

No comments: