2008-05-13

Life is fun(ny)

Things long forgotten have a way of coming back to haunt you. You might even say it is a conspiracy by higher powers and I am at the center of it.

Why else would I need to fret over needing to literally pen down more than half a dozen pages at my age. I am no 'writer'. My profession and office technology have turned me into a "key-er", as I cannot claim to be a typist either. But industry did teach me the value of expectation management. With a handwriting like mine, growing more illegible by the year, I need to set the right expectations. This is what I did before the exam when I asked Dr.SS, TA for our, 'Customer Value' course, about the role of aesthetics of one's handwriting in a b-school exam. I found it comforting to know that 'she has seen all kinds of handwriting'.

It's not like I have not tried to get into the mode of writing more. I have made considerable number of pages of study notes for my course subjects. But how much of a damage of nine years can you reverse in a few weeks; assuming you even let me be the judge of my own handwriting?

I did pull through the three hour case-based exam this afternoon. I was not sure if I could sit that long. One of the reasons I had dreaded GMAT practice tests was their painfully long durations. Initially, after I landed here, I had to fight the urge to get up from my study table and walk around every twenty minutes. On one hand being a manager allows you to have some amount of exemption in having a low attention span. On the other hand multi-tasking required by a manager's role turns that into an asset of sorts. Anyway,another of those things that come back to haunt you are long duration exams.

I think I am developing, subconsciously, a way of creating fun if I do not find some around me. Would you believe I walked out with my answer paper after the open-book exam? I must have inadvertently (no such thing in Freud's world) packed it with my rather tall-and-broad text book. Once the TA found out that one paper was missing, I walked back into the hall to help them sort the confusion out. I am not sure who was laughing and who was relieved on finding out that it was I who had not turned in the answer paper. Since I had been within earshot and eyeshot of Dr.SS and maybe had demonstrated my integrity (now, how do you like that?) in the past that I did not need to sign an 'undertaking' (I did not know such a thing existed).

Like I said, I am finding that the repertoire of stories is steadily growing. Mr.Freud, would you say I am building one? I am not sure, but I do not think, anymore, that many thing will impossibly not happen to me.

A kind of X-files effect? No, let's say it's the PGPX-files effect!

PS: What the online-statuses are looking like today: LC- "Koi lauta de mere beete hue din"; RR-"toommatooeess...."; AA-"Selling Grade "A" tomatoes";
Yours truly- "No Strategy => POD (point of despair-ity)"

No comments: