2008-03-07

A chapter closes

The day that I had been waiting for came; Not 'finally came',it just came.

I started from home later than I had planned for. The current favourite songs were playing on the radio as I drove to work, windows rolled down to let in just the right kind of morning breeze. I also got the favourite spot in the parking lot. So, it’s all falling in place, I thought.

At the desk, it began with opening the mailbox as usual. But instead of looking at the ‘work emails' my attention was focused on numerous responses to my goodbye emails. Only after perusing them did I open the work emails (Oh yeah, even on the last day!). This was followed by chats with a couple of colleagues, who on learning my reason for exit chose to have a tête-à-tête with me. A conversation always yields more than email ping-pong.

My colleagues and managers threw a farewell lunch for me. I had been forewarned that a farewell speech was due. I had only found time to figure out what makes up a good farewell speech. So, with a lot of extempore, I think I delivered a recommended complete speech; after all, it did last about five minutes and I ended it just before they could have begun to lose interest. Anyway, I was keen on listening to what people thought of me. A couple of pleasant surprises came along. You can even say it made my day or my month.

One can never plan the last day to be perfect or smooth. It was a funfilled day but also busy as it could get. I found myself jogging as I shuttled between meeting people, the day's first international conference call, checking on my clearances, getting to the farewell lunch and back, the second international conference call, intermittently backing up my emails that just kept pouring in, taking and making phone calls and surrendering 'company assets' before collecting my relieving letter.

A few people have asked me “Are you feeling sentimental about leaving?”, “Are you feeling sad?” and “How does it feel after so long?” I could only tell them that I have mixed feelings about leaving the current workplace. I am leaving with a little bit of sadness but a lot of excitement and anticipation. (Look for the ‘ship’ in my previous blogpost). May be I gave it enough time to let it settle down in my mind. After all, today marked the end of my 101-day long notice period.

The day that I had been waiting for has gone. Not to be forgotten, but to be blithely put away in that realm of memory where felicitous remembering resides.

No comments: