2006-05-02

Birthday Woes...me two?

Having your 'Official date of birth' different from your birthday is not funny at all. In my case it happens to be a little more than a week before my actual birthday.
To me, it really does not matter, unitl on an unexpected day I get a flood of 'Customer relationship' emails generated by a batch email-program happily wishing you a great year ahead. As if the fact that I am wished on a wrong date is not enough,in my case, it is further more aggravating to know that I am a victim of my own doing in the face of impersonalisation that CRM process entails. I am legally bound to give the record-date all the time. People in my team, with sincere intentions, have been calling me up or stopping by to wish me. Some of them are on the birthday committee that collects funds from people to use it for cake-cuttings etc on people's big days. They usually set-up reminders on our company's birthday database and are reminded of the ones today when they open their mailboxes in the morning.They have no other way of knowing it, unless they ask me. And I have been only keeping a calm ' it is not my birthday today'. I have also been dodging the question that naturally follows- 'When is it, then?'. I only say it is a mess up in the records, not willing to retell the mix-up in hospital records that happened eons ago, which made me 8 days older than I a really am.

Having 2 birthdays to relate to has some disfavours to it. For one it takes away the charm . You are reminded twice over that you are nearing the inevitable, twice over that you are but an insignificant speck inthe macrocosm and twice over that you are far from where you wanted to be- because birthday is usually a time when you do the bench marking of your current state of being with where you had at one time wished you would be at this time. The other time this happens in the New Year, when the whole world is thinking about it with you. And if you have two 'birthdays', you are bound to do this three times a year. The additional distraction this causes has a negative impact on your productivity. In this year's case, today is also the first working day of the week. Then there is another small disappointment that I will have to wait another 8 days to wear the new shirt I have bought for my birthday (a small family tradition that one has to wear something new on ones birthday and I have not strictly followed it when away from home), in mounting anticipation of the annual d-day.

Funny though, two birthdays do not come with two sets of gifts!

1 comment:

Kiran said...

Happy Birthday, official or otherwise. As long as I don't have to buy you a gift, I am ok with you celebrating more than one birthday. BTW, have you wondered...if on every birthday, u grow a year older, how old you really are :)